Monday, June 14, 2010

peekfrostings

Blueberry Granola Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF


How do you eat your granola?  I typically use mine as a mix-in for ice cream or yogurt.  I've also mixed granola into vanilla frosting with delicious results! This blueberry granola, however, was reserved for granola upside-down cakes and blueberry chocolate granola cupcakes.  Despite the granola being earmarked, I managed to shovel handfuls of granola into my mouth using long-forgotten skills that I have relearned thanks to Myles.

 Myles after eating beets (We can't give him granola yet or I'd show you that.)



Blueberry Granola Recipe

My blueberry granola recipe was inspired by the granola recipe at Half Assed Kitchen.  I don't expect anyone to make it exactly as written (although you would not be disappointed if you did); rather, I hope that you use my recipe to inspire you.  Don't like dried blueberries?  Try raisins or dried cherries.  Don't like sunflower seeds?  What about adding some nuts?

This recipe can make either extra crunchy granola or soft and chewy granola - it all depends on how you bake it.  I've included instructions for both ways. 
  • 2 1/2 C whole oats
  • 3/4 C cacao nibs
  • 1/2 C dried blueberries
  • 1/4 C sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 C pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 C brown rice syrup
  1. Mix everything together in a big bowl.
  2. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. 
  3. For crunchy granola, bake at 250 F for 60 minutes. The granola will not seem crunchy, but once it cools, it will get very hard.  For more sticky, chewy granola, bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. 

13 comments:

  1. What a cute picture! It totally made me smile. I also look forward to the upcoming granola recipes - I loveee granola :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!

    Gonna try this one next ... I made a granola recipe last night, check it out: http://besidescupcakes.blogspot.com/2010/06/good-morning-granola.html

    SL
    ibakecupcakes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myles is super-duper cute!

    I have been wanting to make granola for the longest time! Yours looks so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granola in icing?!? What a great idea! ...Except O guess it ruins the healthy aspect of it :) I usually form my granola into bars, and eat them as an on the go breakfast or snack. This is my favorite granola bar recipe: http://bakingserendipity.blogspot.com/2010/06/homemade-granola-bars.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pic!! I love blueberry granola and have been buying it but thanks to you I can make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, that picture of Myles is the cutest thing I have ever seen! He looks so happy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you guys liked the recipe and the Myles photo. Myles has gotten a little less messy, but not much. :) We came home from lunch with strawberry pants today.

    Thanks for sharing your favorite granola recipes. If you have others, please feel free to link to them. It will be helpful for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love granola in greek yogurt in the mornings, especially it's homemade, which is such a treat. This recipe sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to eat granola with plain yogurt and sliced bananas...its a great breakfast to start the day! Can't wait to see the upcoming recipes using this granola...

    ReplyDelete
  10. is there something the brown rice syrup can be replaced with? I've never heard of it and wouldn't know where to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon - You could simply use more maple syrup or honey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the mention of how to get chewier granola. I'd been wondering how to achieve that with my favorite vanilla almond recipe. http://makinglifeup.blogspot.com/2010/06/vanilla-almond-granola.html Can't wait to try it out with next weeks batch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the link. Your granola with blueberries sounds luscious.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics