Monday, May 31, 2010

peekfrostings

Wedding 3.0 - Why I Made Over 300 Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF

(This photo doesn't show all of the cupcakes.
The staff replenished them as they were eaten.)

My husband and I have a tradition.  Every night On nights when we think of it and aren't too tired, we each say the highlight of our day and the accomplishment that we are most proud of that day.  Highlights are the hardest to do on really bad days, but I think those days are the most time important time to think about them.  The ritual forces the day to end on a positive note - and even really crappy days have their positive moments.


Well, you can guess what my highlight was yesterday after successfully baking and delivering the over 300 cupcakes for Wedding 3.0.  Obviously, it could have been finishing this monumental task. But, it wasn't.  My highlight of the day was remembering why I decided to bake the cupcakes in the first place.



I used to question whether I believed in the institution of marriage.  Could two people really be compatible for a lifetime?  Are human beings really meant to be monogamous?  Having found a life partner to share all of my joys, sorrows, triumphs, challenges, laughing fits, and cupcakes with, I understand what it means to have a soul mate and rejoice for others who through sheer luck are able to find theirs.

Groom 3.0's favorite cupcake was the peaches n' cream
and Bride 3.0's favorite was the chocolate pumpkin.
Mine was the pound cake (not that it mattered).

While more and more people are choosing to either elope, have destination weddings, or courthouse affairs, the power and energy of affirming and sharing love with family and friends is to me what makes a wedding magical.  I love weddings!  As an assistant photographer and editor at J. Pollack Photography, it's a good thing that I do.  I spend hours a day looking at photos of happy couples - weeding out photos of people with their mouths full of food or their eyes closed.

Bride and Groom 3.0's wedding was not just another wedding.  Attending the wedding of Bride and Groom 3.0 as a guest (and cupcake baker) felt like an honor and privilege.  As their Rabbi said, their love lit up the room. I thank them for letting me be a part of their day.


Now, About Those Cupcakes

When last I left you, I had a giant stack of boxes ready to go out the door.

Let's peek in those boxes.

Here's a box of peaches n' cream cupcakes.  You'll see that I decided to use shelf liner to keep the cupcakes from sliding around in the box.  It worked really well!  They were all intact when I arrived at Moulin, the wedding venue.

The peaches n' cream cupcake baking went very smoothly.  My only challenge was guessing how many cans of peaches I would need for the 100 cupcakes.  In case you are ever in this situation, you should know that there are about 20 peach slices in a 15 oz can of peaches.  But, about 20% of the peaches in the can are broken or misshapen.  You can do your own math.

Here's the chocolate pumpkin (sweet potato) cupcake.  Once I made it past the not having any pumpkin snafu, these cupcakes went swimmingly.  I hadn't planned on putting the chocolate chip on top, but the cupcake looked empty without it.


Lastly, here are the pound cake cupcakes with the Lamington chocolate frosting.  The frosting on these cupcakes frustrated me at first, but turned out to be my favorite in the end.  When I originally made the Lamington cupcakes, I frosted all sides of the cupcakes so I didn't worry about the frosting dripping.  On these pound cake cupcakes, I wanted the frosting to stay on top of the cupcake and it did not want to stay put.  No matter what I did, it dripped all over the place.  I was very worried about it and wasted an hour or two obsessing and trying to problem solve.  In the end, I just let the frosting drip.

Overnight, the drips hardened and ended up looking cute (also, you could barely see them once I put the wrappers on).  And - the hard frosting made for really easy transport.  One box of these got jostled a bit, but the toppled cupcakes looked completely flawless - like nothing had ever happened.  I would highly recommend Lamington chocolate frosting if you need to transport cupcakes and want to keep them looking nice.  It's so much easier than buttercream.



Here I am showing off a box of cupcakes heading out the door.  The t-shirt that I'm wearing has a Hip Hop Congress logo.  It's an organization founded by Groom 3.0.  Check it out!


I hadn't seen the stand before I arrived at Moulin with the cupcakes. When I first saw it, I was struck by two things:
  1. This stand is incredibly beautiful.
  2. This stand is incredibly small.
I wondered how I would possibly fit all of my cupcakes on it.  I thought that perhaps I could use some of the table space as well, but it turned out that the rest of the table was on reserve for fruit kabobs that were brought out at dessert time.


The stand ended up working like a charm (and doesn't it looked charmed - like something out of A Midsummer Night's Dream?).  While it only held about 100 cupcakes, the staff at Moulin did an outstanding job of keeping it full all night.  They even straightened it as they worked so it never started to look sloppy.  Their professionalism blew me away.


The longer I stared at the stand, the more impressed I was with its originality and beauty.  It was created by Couple 3.0's event florist, Frankie at Festive Atmospheres.  If you are looking for a florist in St. Louis, I would highly recommend him.  To get the true picture of how perfect the stand was, though, you have to understand how well it fit in with the theme of the entire wedding as coordinated by Couple 3.0's wedding planner, Simcha.  While it's not cupcake related, take a quick peek at the tables,


 the dance floor,

The balls over the dance floor were designed
by the amazing Exclusive Events.
and the chuppah (wedding canopy) and podium.

The chuppah was also designed
by the amazing Exclusive Events.


Even with the unforgettable stand, the cupcakes would not have been as striking without their coordinated wrappers.  The wrappers were custom-made for Bride and Groom 3.0 by Sugar Cat Studio.  Thank you so much to Sugar Cat for the wrappers!!


What will my next project be?  No idea!  I'll let you know when I know.

Thank Yous

In addition to all of the vendors that I mentioned above, I'd like to again thank Jonathan for everything, Nancy for helping with babysitting, baking, organizing, brainstorming, and transporting, Amie for bringing breakfast and wrapping cupcakes, Lori and Rob for watching Myles so we could go to the rehearsal dinner and cleaning the counters, and Bride and Groom 1.0 for watching Myles on the day of the wedding and filling my car up with gas.  I couldn't have done it without all of you!!

38 comments:

  1. You do such awesome, amazing things. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! I really love the stand and decor! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so many things to comment on here. I love the tradition with your hubby - what a great idea to list the day's accomplishments. The cupcakes looked flawless and how smart of you to use shelf liner for no movement during transport (that's a keeper)! The venue for the wedding looked exquisite. I adore the cupcake stand and all that greenery. What a fabulous night you all must have had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post- I completely enjoyed reading about how you pulled off this wonderful project. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I love your daily ritual! That is a great idea. I can see where doing something like that keeps you positive and thankful for the littlest things. I might have to start implementing this in my house. Love your cupcakes too, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Among all your blog posts that I've loved over the years, this one is my absolute favorite. My "daily affirmation" involves how blessed I am to have you, Jonathan, and Myles as such an integral part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! That's a LOT of cupcakes! It looks amazing - love the stand and the rest of the wedding looked beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cupcakes for a beautiful wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, congrats on finishing such an large project- the end results look delicious, and all the cupcakes on/around the stand look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're just sooo cute!I love the picture of you holding the box of cupcakes ready to go. :)
    You blow me away Stef!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stef, I'm so glad that all turned out well for the wedding. The cupcakes and the stand look amazing (nice shots, Jonathan!), and I have to say I definitely loved the chocolate pumpkin preview cupcake. Let us know anytime you need help with Myles, and maybe we can trade off once little ???? is born...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stumbled onto your blog when I googled "quinoa for breakfast" and then I realized you were from St. Louis too. So now I'm totally following you (and always craving cupcakes). You make me kinda wish I wasn't already married so I could get you to make them for my wedding . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are simply amazing. The cupcakes look gorgeous! I would love to do wedding cupcakes/cakes someday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous...almost too pretty to eat although I am sure they went fast. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those cupcakes looks really good! ummm. May God continue to bless you. Congrats Mrs. G

    ReplyDelete
  16. That anonymous comment is from Me (Jarnell Flowers).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on a job well done! Those look delicious. And they do fit in swimmingly with the rest of the look of the event. WELL DONE! (as usual)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome cupcakes! I've been following your blog for a few months now, and I'm inspired everytime I read it. Great job!
    The shelf liner for the boxes is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing as always. I'm ordering cupcakes for my wedding vow renewal.

    Cheers,
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! I am totally feeling like a slacker now for thinking of buying premade cupcakes for Baby Cosmos' baptism when there are only 20 people coming though, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You should be really proud, Stef. They all look beautiful.

    Also: I cannot believe what a trim figure you have! You'd never look at you and think you were the woman who made all these cakes and frostings week in and week out.

    You never eat them, do you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great post Stef! You look AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing and lovable story. Good job with all the cupcakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it's great that you share the highlight of your day with each other. More people should do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - thanks for all of your comments. You are all so sweet! Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am soo inspired by your delicate, deliciously looking, elegant cupcakes!!! I have been dreaming of one day being in the cupcake business. I just really don't know how and where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is a HUGE stack of boxes! I know it's a long time since you did the wedding but here's a belated congratulations. Your little cakes matched the wedding beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow-nice job! So creative! I'm curious where you get your large boxes? We need to transport several hundred cupcakes for an event coming up and have been looking for boxes like you show here. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Craft Family - I bought the boxes at a local baking supply shop, but they sell boxes like that (in large quantities) here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi I´m Isabel .. I´m from Colombia but I just love your blog it´s such a beautiful and useful blog ... you really inspire me ... well my english is not that good but i tried my best ... your cupcakes are gorgeous ...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just found your blog and saw your pics of the 300 cupcake wedding! I soooo empathize with you. It's insanity in paper cup! haha... I just finished an 800+ cupcake display for a charity event and I gotta say KUDOS to you for that awesome display. It about killed me this past weekend and I'm just wiped out! Your cuppies look amazing! Well done! And, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Melodie - 800?? I can't even imagine. You should share a link to some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those cupcakes look gorgeous and yummy! Don't stop doing what you love most! I would love to see more of your cupcakes! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was thinking about making cupcakes for my wedding (300 to be exact) How long did it take you?

    ReplyDelete
  35. When I first started reading I wondered what your post had to do with cakes but I love the way you pulled it all together discussing the tradition you and your hubby have, the power and emotion of a wedding and the decor of the event all working in with your beautiful cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great job! And very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Everything looks great! I have to make A LOT of cupcakes for a wedding In September. I'm nervous! I'm worried about the topping/frosting (or whipped cream) not being refrigerated. I'm doing the entire dessert table & I'm not sure how I can keep some things cold. Such as, mini cheesecakes, mousse cups (mousse pipped into a chocolate bite size cup) etc... Do you have any suggestions?

    Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics