Monday, December 8, 2008

peekfrostings

Homemade Fudge Recipe with Balsamic

Print Friendly and PDF


Fudge! Fudge! Fudge!

When I asked my Twitter friends if I should make a homemade fudge recipe the other night, everyone said, "Yes," and almost every one of them used exclamation points. For example, Twitter user Loverazor said, "fudge! fudge! fudge!" and Twitter user FNCrazy said, "FUDGE!!!!!" Yes, I counted the 6 exclamation points.

My Facebook friends got in on the act, too. There was only one person who dared to talk down to the mighty fudge. Bill from STLBites said, "I hate fudge. It's on the list." It should be noted that he didn't try mine.

Me and Fudge

When I think of fudge, I think of the fudge show at St. Louis Union Station.



Jonathan thinks of the fudge show, too. He thought he was going to come home to a nightmare of a mess in our kitchen. However, it turns out that making fudge is really easy! It took all of 10 minutes to prepare! You then need to have some patience and wait for 3 hours or so for it to harden before eating it up.

The Fudge Recipe

I got the fudge recipe from Joy of Baking. The main change that I made to the recipe was to add balsamic vinegar. I love the combination of balsamic and chocolate. I just recently had a fantastic chocolate balsamic truffle at the Vosges store in Chicago. Should you not want to add the balsamic, feel free to leave it off and replace with 2 t of vanilla extract.
  • 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 lb bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 2 T unsalted butter
  • 1/4 C balsamic vinegar plus 2 T for brushing on top of the fudge (I used saba, which is a very expensive traditional aged balsamic. However, the best balsamic that you care to spend your money on will do. I will tell you though that saba is amazing and would make a superb gift for any balsamic lover.)
  1. Line the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan (20 x 20 x 5 cm) with aluminum foil. Make sure you go up the sides. You can then easily lift the sides to take the fudge out of the pan when it's done.
  2. Combine the condensed milk, chopped chocolate, and butter in a stainless steel bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water.
  3. Melt the chocolate mixture, stirring frequently. Make sure the mixture doesn't get too hot or the fudge may be grainy.
  4. Stir until smooth (it will be very thick).
  5. Remove from heat and stir in the balsamic.
  6. Spread the fudge into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula.
  7. Let stand at room temperature for a couple of hours.
  8. Using a pastry brush, brush some balsamic on top of the fudge and let sit for another hour or so until the balsamic is a bit less liquidy and simply sticky.
  9. Carefully remove the fudge from the pan by lifting the edges of the foil. With a long, sharp knife, cut the fudge into pieces.
  10. Store in the refrigerator for several days, or freeze, well wrapped, for several months. Let thaw at room temperature, unwrapped, for a few hours before eating.
What Cupcake is Coming Up?

Why, fudge brownie cupcakes with fudge frosting, of course!

13 comments:

  1. You are a genius! I've never had balsamic with chocolate, but you can bet I'm going to try it, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have put balsamic and chocolate together. This sounds much tastier than my chocolate chip/marshmallow creme recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I've only used balsamic vinegar in a strawberry trifle recipe and that was wonderful. I am definitely going to try it with fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspired touch to add balsamic. Mmmm, now I'm thinking of other possibilities...I can picture a chocolate cupcake with chocolate-balsamic frosting. Ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh...never would think to pair fudge and balsamic. Sounds very interesting!

    I love the fudge place in Union Station! We would go every Christmas and watch the show they put on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea! I have the best time looking through the Vosges chocolate website for inspiration. They have such fabulous flavor combinations. (Lucky you, getting to actually try one of their truffles in Chicago!) Of course I want to try the fudge but you have given me another idea too. I always enjoy stopping by your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks divine! Yum yum. I might have to try that even if it makes a major damage to my hips in the near future. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our chef brought us Chocolate Balsamic truffles from a store downtown (Chicago) and they were delicious!!! I'm definitely going to try this recipe so I can recreate that yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just been looking for fudge recipes and I love the sound of the balsamic. I'll definitely be giving this a try (and am excited about the prospect of the cupcakes too!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I attempted to make fudge 2 Christmases ago it was a disaster! For some reason it didn't set so I had to spread it on cookies (rather than waste it!) but perhaps i'll have another go using your recipe which looks scrumptious by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these and I loved them!! My husband and a couple of my coworkers weren't as fond of them, but a couple coworkers loved them as much as I did. I guess you either love them or they're "eh"

    I have found that the sweetened condensed milk fudge recipes are the hardest to screw up. Just make sure that the chocolate is shiny before you pour it in the pan -- and it doesn't hurt to put them in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elle - Let me know what you think!

    Kim - I'm sure yours is yummy too!

    Carol - Ooh.. that sounds really good also.

    Carolyn - Check out the one Minko made: http://ecupcake.blogspot.com/2008/12/chocolate-with-twist-mark-one.html

    Joy - :)

    Niki - I wonder if it was the Voges ones that I had.

    Lysy - Hope you like it!

    Emily - Good call to spread it on cookies. I bet it was still yummy!

    Lindsey - I'm so glad you enjoyed them!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurry...I need a glass of milk! Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics