Friday, December 26, 2008

peekfrostings

Blueberry Almond Cupcakes with Blueberry Buttercream Frosting

Print Friendly and PDF

These blueberry almond cupcakes were inspired by the blueberry almond custard that I made for Taste & Create. In fact, not only were the blueberry almond cupcakes inspired by the custard, but each cupcake contained a little custard surprise inside.

The blueberry almond cupcakes were a hit with all of my tasters. They loved that it was rich, that a strong blueberry flavor came through, and of course they loved the surprise inside. The only one who wasn't a big fan of these cupcakes was me. I think I didn't love them purely because of the buttercream frosting. I know that I don't like buttercream, but periodically I decide to give it another shot. "Maybe with blueberries I'll like it better," I think to myself. But, nope, it's still buttercream.

Before You Begin

Before you begin making the blueberry almond cupcakes, you'll need two things:
  1. Blueberry almond custard (assuming you want to fill them, which I highly recommend). Check out my blueberry almond custard recipe.
  2. Blueberry syrup. You'll need the syrup for both the cupcakes and frosting. Smash up 11oz of blueberries either by hand or in a food processor or blender. In a heavy-bottomed pot, bring the blueberries and 1/2 C sugar to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
Blueberry Almond Cupcake Recipe

makes 16 cupcakes
  • 1 C almond flour
  • 1 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 3/4 C butter
  • 2/3 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 C plain yogurt
  • 2/3 C blueberry syrup
  1. Whisk almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
  2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs and yogurt.
  4. Alternately fold in the flour mixture and blueberry syrup in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
  5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  6. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
  7. After cupcakes cool, using a small paring knife, cut a cone out of the cupcake, fill with custard, and replace the top.


Blueberry Buttercream Frosting

When I frosted the blueberry almond cupcakes, I used half blueberry buttercream and half plain vanilla buttercream to make the swirl that you see in the photo at the top of this post. You could also opt to make the frosting all blueberry buttercream.
  • 3 C confectioners' sugar, sifted (add more until it reaches your preferred consistency)
  • 1 C butter, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
  • 3 T blueberry syrup (or 6 T if you want all blueberry instead of half)
  1. Mix together sugar and butter until they are blended and creamy.
  2. Add vanilla bean extract and milk and continue to beat for another minute. If desired, add more confectioners' sugar to make it stiffer.
  3. Put half the frosting in a separate bowl and stir the blueberry syrup into it (or you can put the blueberry syrup in all of it if you prefer).
  4. Line half of a piping bag with the blueberry frosting and half with the vanilla and pipe away!
  5. For added fun, top each cupcake with some almond slivers, blueberries, and sprinkles.

16 comments:

  1. Nice-looking cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to smile when I saw this. I don't really care for blueberries but for some reason I keep giving them another try (like you with the buttercream frosting:) These are quite intriguing. I'm just going to have to try them and see what happens.

    Thanks for sharing, Stef...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely suggest trying this with Italian Meringue Buttercream. I hate the american version with a ton of powdered sugar too, so whenever I see it, I just substitute. It's creamy, not too sweet and takes various flavorings very very well. Your cupcakes look absolutely scrumptious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cupcakes look gorgeous. I'm so glad I found your site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glen - Thanks much!

    Louise - I didn't used to like blueberries either. You really have to get good ones. It makes a big difference. I like the smaller ones much better than the larger ones.

    Anna - Thanks! I'm not a big meringue fan either, but I may have to give the meringue buttercream a try. Does it taste like meringue?

    Hayley - Thanks! Glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so delicious. The blueberry buttercream is so amazing! Love the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stef - I know you weren't talking to me but meringue buttercream doesn't taste like meringue as a finished product. It taste like a cloud of wonderful goodness!! It does taste like marshmallows before you add the butter and other additives though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jay - I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks so tasty!!
    Great Job
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahaha, my blueberry-obsessed boyfriend is definitely getting a batch of these for valentine's. Thank you for the awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome Recipies! Delicous images, and thanks, I am doing this desert for my article *0*

    ReplyDelete
  12. How many does this recipe make? I can't wait to try it for a friend's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this recipe, Its look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually tried these cupcakes a few weeks ago, they were a little heavier of a cupcake (comparable to a muffin) but it was absolutely delicious! They certainly didn't last long in my house. Also, I made a few alterations to the recipe: I used reg flower instead of almond flour, and I didnt make the filling for the sake of time. But I still give this cupcake 5 out of 5 stars :)

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics