Wednesday, October 15, 2008

peekfrostings

Wedding Cupcake Photos

Print Friendly and PDF

Here are the promised wedding cupcake photos from Wedding 2.0, along with my commentary - things I liked, things that went wrong, and freak-out moments.

Bride and Groom 2.0 decided to use the same stand as Couple 1.0. However, if you look at the photos from Couple 1.0's wedding, you'll see that they had an extra tier at the top for a single cupcake. Couple 2.0 wanted more room at the top to put a small cake and cake topper.

Couple 2.0 wanted to decorate the cupcake stand with silk leaves. This activity somehow ended up happening the morning of the wedding. At first, we tried to rubber cement them on, but as it turns out, silk doesn't stick to rubber cement. We ended up using puffy double-stick tape.

Another nice touch that Couple 2.0 had was to label each tier of the tower. It was a great idea! As you can see, these are the chocolate bourbon pecan cupcakes. This was the easiest frosting to pipe, so I opted for a classic frosting swirl.

I toyed with all kinds of decorating ideas for the apple cinnamon cupcakes. I even went to so far as to buy 7 bags of apple chips to put on top, but they just didn't look right. But, never fear, the apple chips are so good that they will definitely not go to waste! In the end, I decorated the cupcakes with some gold sugar and a little bit of gold leaf.

I also went back and forth about how to decorate the oatmeal raisin cupcakes. I decided on piping a simple flower (basically I just put on a star tip and squeezed). Then, I scattered some powdered sugar on top along with a little bit of brown sugar and some edible gold glitter.

As I mentioned before, Bride and Groom 2.0 wanted a cake on top of the cupcakes. I did not make the cake, but I loved the way it looked up there! Sure, my cupcakes might have felt a bit second tier, but taste wise, they stole the show!

I absolutely LOVED the cake topper. Couple 2.0 had it custom-made by Etsy seller Sophia's Workshop to look like them. The best part, though, was what was behind Groom Topper 2.0's back.

Groom 2.0 is a huge Muppets fan. He had always talked about having a Kermit and Miss Piggy cake topper, but understandably, Bride 2.0 did not want to be represented by a pig. This cake topper was the perfect compromise. It couldn't have suited them better.

Again, if you refer back to the photos from Wedding 1.0, you'll see that the cupcakes were on a huge table. Obviously, this display did not hold all 300 cupcakes. The event staff promised to refill the stand as the cupcakes were eaten. This method worked quite well, but it was more than a bit stressful for me.

This woman was just doing her job, and I tried my best not to give her the smack down. However, after taking so much care in transporting the cupcakes (making sure they stayed level the entire time and didn't slide around into each other), watching her throwing cupcakes up onto the stand and just barely keeping the box from slipping off the table scared me tremendously.

It all worked out, though, and the cupcakes were devoured.

They were even grandmother-approved. While I was a huge fan of the chocolate bourbon pecan, I actually got the most compliments on the apple cinnamon cupcakes. People loved them.

No, that's not a peace sign. That's a guy pointing out that he is having two cupcakes. There were enough cupcakes for almost every guest to have two.

Some guests could have even had three cupcakes. I don't think people realized this. Because of the small size of the cake table, I believe that guests thought that they should limit themselves to one cupcake. We ended up with close to 100 cupcakes left over. The really good news is that the catering hall has an arrangement with the Salvation Army, so all of the extra cupcakes went to charity.

After baking all of these cupcakes, am I sick of cupcakes yet?

Nope. :)

37 comments:

  1. Love the idea of cupcakes for a wedding... they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing job!! They all look beautiful and delicious! You deserve a week long nap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely, the cupcakes AND the cupcake baker! Congratulations!!

    And now what? Is couple 3.0 in the wings? Who knows?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your cupcakes make me want to get married. or at least have a wedding. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. The display looked awesome! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that shot of you so saucy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I'm so glad they all turned out! And I totally would have bitch-slapped that server for squishing those cupcakes.

    So...now what? More weddings?? More cupcakes?? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your cupcake wedding cake, I made one for my sisters wedding in Ireland over the summer I posted the picture here http://www.inyourkitchen.com/wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks awesome! :)
    You pulled it off yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are just beautiful Stef!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks absolutely beautiful! Cupcakes for a wedding are definitely great and give guest the feeling that they have their individual wedding cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable cake! Shows you can have your cake _ AND CUPCAKES _ and eat everything, too. The cake-topper is hilarious. You just know the bride and groom have a happy future together with a sense of humor like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did an amazing job! I would have been stressed too with the way that girl was handling the cupcakes :)

    When my day finally rolls around, I'm totally going the cupcake route :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on an awesome job! That must have been exhilarating after all that prep work. They turned out beautifully! Would you be willing to post the link to the etsy shop the bride & groom had the toppers made? They're adorable!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty and I love that cake topper! What interesting flavors you made too! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much everyone! I like the week long nap idea. :) I'll post the link to the etsy seller as soon as I find out who they are. Couple 2.0 are on their honeymoon so I'll ask them when they get back. Ashley, thanks for agreeing with me about the lady handling my cupcakes. Very scary stuff. For those who asked about what's next... let's go back to Jen's week long nap comment and then I'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Yum! This looks so good! I really like the idea of the cupcakes as the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely post to read....I made a Greek chocolate cake for a lay once and she destroyed it in 1 minute flat with a bread knife.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Despite being only 20 years old and never dreaming of getting married for at least another 5 years, I'm bookmarking this page to remind me that THIS is how I want my wedding cake to be like!

    You should be very proud, they're fantastic.

    Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute!! Huge projects like weddings are SOOO stressful!! But the results and reactions is sooo worth it! Great job!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful work! And I love that last picture of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those chocolate bourbon pecan cupcakes sound the best! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How you did not smack the cupcake refill lady is beyond me.

    Gorgeous! The cupcakes look good too. :) I love your dress and necklace - tres chic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The cupcakes look SO delicious, duh! But I'm in LOVE with that topper!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your presentation is beautiful! Great job.

    The cake topper is so cute! Do you know which etsy seller made it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry for the delayed response. The cake topper was made by Sophia's Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These cupcakes are "A"mazing. I'm also quite interested on how you made the tiered cupcake stand. Can you post the intructions?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Carolina - My friend's stepdad made the stand. I have no idea how he did it, but I can certainly try to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Have you guys tried photo cupcakes. I plan to make some with my company logo. There is one source where I plan to buy them. www.gogocake.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey there! LOVE your blog, I've been scoping out all the cupcakes on your site all day so far (its a slow day at work here :) I am PLANNING to make my own cupcakes for my wedding in October. I only have about 80 - 95 guests attending. And I wouldn't do anything super fancy. And no crazy decorating either.
    Any suggestions/ words of advice / wisdom / warnings? :)
    Some people tell me I can do it, others say I'm crazy - that i'll be too busy.
    I know you're an expert and was wondering what you thought :)
    -Thanks,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Steph - Have you ever made that many cupcakes before? If you are a pro and can just whip them out, I'd say go for it. If not, I wouldn't recommend it. Baking a lot of cupcakes is very draining and you will have lots of things to do in the days leading up to your wedding. I'd vote for letting someone else take care of the cupcakes. Maybe you could get a friend to make your favorite recipes? Good luck! And congrats on the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for your advice Stef! I make cupcakes a lot - I make the cupcakes for a local store's childrens birthday parties. The most I've ever done for a single event was like 24 - 30. So I've never done 90 yet. Hmmm, a lot to think about I suppose! Maybe I'll take your advice and start asking some friends for their help.
    Thanks again for your wisdom!!
    -Stephanie
    www.icecreambeforedinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your wedding cupcakes! The little Kermit is hilarious. Do you have a story behind it?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the ideas you share here, so I have featured your blog post on our 50 Wedding Cupcake blog post at www.partycupcakeideas.com
    Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
  35. Melody - I talk about the Kermit in the post. "Groom 2.0 is a huge Muppets fan. He had always talked about having a Kermit and Miss Piggy cake topper, but understandably, Bride 2.0 did not want to be represented by a pig. This cake topper was the perfect compromise. It couldn't have suited them better."

    Sprinkles - Thanks! Great roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks so delicious, not to mention the beautiful display of cupcakes

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics