Friday, October 10, 2008

peekfrostings

Wedding 2.0 Update

Print Friendly and PDF


For those who don't know, this weekend I am baking about 300 cupcakes for Bride and Groom 2.0's wedding.

This morning, I went shopping. I ended up buying $302 of groceries for cupcake baking - about $1/cupcake. It would have been cheaper if I shopped at Costco, but I've been a Whole Foods girl all along and I wasn't about to change now.

I started off with the oatmeal raisin cupcakes. They went really smoothly. The only small snafu was that I had originally made the cupcakes with honey vinegar that was given to me as a gift. I had no idea how hard it was to find honey vinegar. I ended up baking with half honey vinegar and half champagne vinegar - which turned out just fine.

Next up were the chocolate bourbon pecan cupcakes. With those, the issue was that I was short on corn syrup for the gooey filling part (I bought the very last bottle at the store). It ended up working just fine with the amount I had, and the cupcakes tasted even better than I remembered. I like the oatmeal raisin, but I LOVE these. I wish everyone could have them hot out of the oven like I did.

Tomorrow: Bake the apple cinnamon cupcakes and frost all of the cupcakes.

For now, though, I need to get ready and head out to the bachelorette party!

12 comments:

  1. You're so diligent. Me? I would bake and then insist on a nap. Willing the party to come to me instead of the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all I can do to get one type of cupcake done each week. I am way impressed by this baking feat! And I really wish I had a friend like you when I got married. Cupcakes baked with love beat a Publix wedding cake anyday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha! Guessed it within $2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. Can I come over and just smell your house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously, i want to be in your house right now, too bad we still can't *really* bottle the smell of fresh baking

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to be in you house tooooooo! How are you not a hundred stone? Seriously, I bake about twice a week, but if I had that many cakes, I'd eat them all, and they'd have to use a crane to get me out of my house!

    I am going to attempt the oatmeal rasin ones tomorrow i think.

    Oh, just out of interest, do you have Lyle's Golden Syrup there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki - Not only willing to party - but I was one of two people who planned the party! I had to show up.

    Jen - Thanks!

    Sylvia - Our house smelled so good when I came home last night. It was awesome!

    Kristen - Have you ever been to Hershey Park? They have this 3D movie with smellovision. They pipe in the smell of chocolate during the movie - so I guess it can be done.

    Lisa - Hah! I can't eat that many, it makes me sick. Good luck on the oatmeal raisin ones. Do you have honey vinegar? I've never heard of Lyle's Golden Syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic. I want to bake those chocolate ones now! Mmmm. Good luck with the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so much fun to watch! I can't wait til you get to the decorating. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The chocolate bourbon cupcake sound really good!
    How long did it take you. I may have to bake 200 mini cupcakes in April for a wedding. Have any advice? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ley - Thanks for the good wishes. So happy it's all over.

    Maggie - Thanks! Sorry I didn't have more updates. Things got kinda crazy. The cupcakes photos and more of the story will be up soon.

    Ivy - Thanks! Did you see my response to you in the next post? 200 minis might not be that bad. Are they all the same flavor? That would make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having baked 300+ cupcakes for a fundraising day, I feel your pain! Isn't it just the best feeling when you can finally stop, look at your work and know that YOU did that? As for minis being less work, no way - I find them harder to do in bulk, mainly because it's so fiddly to fill the cases. The ones I use take exactly 1 teaspoon of batter and once you've scraped batter off the spoon into the first 2 dozen cases, the fun is definitely over.
    Great work and thank you for sharing your recipes with the world.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics