Wednesday, June 11, 2008

peekfrostings

Multigrain Cupcakes with Strawberries: Revisiting the Strawberry Cupcake

Print Friendly and PDF


About a year ago, I made strawberry cupcakes. I used an award-winning recipe and I joked that I should have left well enough alone. I messed up the recipe by adding some jam, which made it too moist. Did I follow the strawberry cupcake recipe this year? Nope!

  • I converted it to a mutigrain cupcake.
  • I used olive oil as my vegetable oil.
  • I used milk and balsamic vinegar instead of buttermilk.
  • I used ginger extract from Supreme Spice instead of vanilla extract.

It's pretty much a completely different cupcake at this point.

How Were the New Multigrain Cupcakes with Strawberries?

People enjoyed the moistness and the fresh berries as well as the earthy flavor brought on by the multigrain flour. The ginger extract flavor was more noticeable in the aftertaste than the initial bite, so it was a fun surprise. I liked them, but definitely found them to be more of a breakfast cupcake than a dessert cupcake.

Groom 2.0 said he couldn't taste the difference between the multigrain flour and the regular flour. I promised him that I would no longer place value judgements on his tasting notes, so I have no further comment about his feedback. Bride 2.0 asked to be exempted from this tasting after she told me that she didn't like strawberries. Clearly, they won't be picking this one.

The Multigrain Cupcake with Strawberries Recipe

As noted above, the multigrain cupcake with strawberries recipe was created by majorly modifying the strawberry cupcake recipe that originally came from the Good Morning America Weekend Edition's Great American Cupcake Challenge.

Makes 24 cupcakes

  • 2 1/2 C multigrain flour
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/2 C butter (room temperature)
  • 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 t balsamic vinegar
  • 1/3 C minus 1/2 t milk
  • 1/2 C vegetable oil (I used olive oil. See my post on olive oil cupcakes for more on baking with olive oil.)
  • 1/8 t ginger extract from Supreme Spice (You could use 1 t vanilla extract if you prefer)
  • 1 C finely chopped fresh strawberries
  1. In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
  3. Add eggs. Mix until smooth and creamy.
  4. Add balsamic vinegar, milk, oil, and extract. Mix until combined.
  5. Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Mix until just combined.
  6. Stir in strawberries.
  7. Fill cupcake liners halfway full. Do not fill more than halfway! These cupcakes do not dome. If you fill them too high, they will rise and then sink and look ugly!
  8. Bake at 350 F for 18-20 minutes. Let cool.

The Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

I frosted the cupcakes with my strawberry cream cheese frosting recipe.

A Note on the Strawberries in the Photo

The strawberries in the photo above are growing in our lawn. We did not plant them, they just showed up. While you may question our lawn care practices or even if those are really strawberries (I think they are, but I haven't tried one yet), it was nice of them to show up for their photo op!

10 comments:

  1. I don't think those are strawberries, I remember my mom telling me they were snake berries or something and that they were poisonous...I am not sure though. Strawberry cupcakes however look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snakeberry plants have completely smooth berries. The things in her picture are wild strawberries. Wild strawberries are fairly common around here if you don't use weed killers on your lawn. I've eaten a few of them, but they're not as sweet as domestic varietals of strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your litte strawberry plant, it's so cute!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it might be a Wood Strawberry - which is also wild and edible but not as tasty as the wild strawberry. Depends on if the flowers are white or yellow (white - wild strawberry, yellow - wood strawberry). Info here if you're interested: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Strawberry.html

    ANYWAY...These sound like wonderful cupcakes! And the photography is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the info! You guys are the best. We noticed yesterday that they have yellow flowers so I'm now pretty sure that they are wood straberry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently discovered that I prefer multigrain flour over all-purp, it does have a much more interesting flavor. I love how you changed up the recipe - very unique! I am so curious about the olive oil! How cool :).

    Strawberry cupcakes are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snakeberries, which are the sort that grow on your lawn, are distinguished from strawberries because they have red (rather than golden) seeds. They are also found all summer long, whereas strawberries are only produced in early Spring. I would NOT eat these. In large quantities, they CAN be poisonous

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just tried the ABC finalist cupcakes, and they came out super dry. Not sure what I did ... the only change I made was subbing in frozen and thawed strawberries for the fresh ones. The batter was YUM, but the cupcakes were so dry I could hardly swallow them. :(

    The frosting turned out okay--a little lumpy from the strawberries, and I'm concerned about the amount of butter, but it tastes good. It would be a shame to waste it all, so I'm going to try some lemon cupcakes next. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jess - So sorry that they turned out dry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. so delicious, i love this strawberry pancake. Thanks for sharing your delicous recipes.cheaper limo rate in Charleston sc

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics