Monday, June 23, 2008

peekfrostings

Honey Meringue Frosting Recipe: You'd Better Eat It Quickly

Print Friendly and PDF


I decided on a honey frosting for upcoming cupcakes when I received honey in my CSA package last week. I had made a honey frosting before. The problem, however, is that I don't like using both honey and powdered sugar in honey frosting recipes - way, way too sweet. Last time, I ended up using mead (honey wine) in the frosting recipe with very little sugar. This left me with more of a glaze than a frosting. I then drizzled honey on top of that to give the honey frosting more texture and a sticky sweetness.

For this cupcake, I searched the Web to find a honey frosting recipe that did not use powdered sugar at all. I found a fluffy honey frosting recipe on Big Oven which was originally from the American Bee Journal. It used a full cup of honey and no powdered sugar.

How I Ended Up Making Honey Meringue Frosting

What I failed to consider was that the honey frosting recipe I chose involves beating egg whites until they are stiff and then adding a sugary substance - just like when I make meringue. Regular readers may know that I don't like meringues because they remind me too much of marshmallows (something else I'm not a fan of).

The fluffy honey frosting did end up being a honey meringue. I have never heard of a honey meringue before. It worked, though! It tasted like a honey marshmallow - especially after I torched it on the cupcakes like you'll see soon.

You'd Better Eat The Honey Meringue Frosting Quickly

About an hour after I frosted the cupcakes, something started to happen. The honey meringue frosting started to drip. The frosting became messy and gooey - not at all appetizing. If you like honey and you like meringue, I do encourage you to try making this frosting, but only if you are going to serve it immediately after you frost. Do not wait or you will be sadly disappointed.

The Honey Meringue Frosting Recipe

As noted above, I found this recipe on Big Oven. I am reprinting it below with my slight modifications.

Makes enough frosting for 24 cupcakes
  1. In a small saucepan or double boiler, heat honey to boiling.
  2. In a bowl, combine egg whites, salt and vanilla.
  3. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until whites are stiff but not dry.
  4. Slowly pour in hot honey.
  5. Beat for 5-7 minutes until frosting holds shape.

11 comments:

  1. I remember making a lavender honey buttercream back in pastry school, wondering if it'll work if I just prepare the meringue with honey and no sugar.

    Now you've proven that this works, only that the frosting doesn't last as long. But then again, it won't last long if it tastes good! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try taking the frosting one step further, and making it into a meringue buttercream-such as a mousseline buttercream, my fave-and I bet it would hold up well for you. (Now I wanna try....lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Delurking to say how much I love this blog.
    I am using your Ferrero Rocher cupcake recipe for my wedding and I was wondering how far in advance would you recommend I make them?
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Verena - Hah! Good point!

    MSC - Give it a go! Let me know how it works!

    Me - Thanks so much! I'm so glad you decided to de-lurk. I wouldn't make them more than 3 days in advance. Also, because of the ganche, you'll want to keep them refrigerated until a few hours before you are going to serve them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love meringue and I just got a bunch of amazing honey so I'll be trying this recipe for sure. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zoe - Cool! Good luck! Remember to eat it right away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds wonderful! I wonder how it would bake? Like meringue cookies, or a hard shell that a fruit salad could be served in. Ohhhh - or on top of a lemon pie, something with a little different flavor than standard.

    I may have to experiment. I love honey AND meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. K. - Could be good. I look forward to hearing about your experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One way to make it more stable so it doesn't start dripping off the cupcakes is to make it like a Swiss meringue. You'd heat the honey, egg whites, and salt in a double boiler until 160 degrees F. Then whip it in a stand mixer on high until it's cooled off. Add the vanilla. It should be very thick and sticky like marshmallow fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Howtoeatacupcake - Mine was like that when it started. It just sank really quickly. The swiss meringue way doesn't sink?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adding unflavored gelatin might make it more stable. Just don't add to much or it would end up being a honey marshmallow, which in my opinion doesn't sound that bad.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics