Wednesday, March 5, 2008

peekfrostings

Corned Beef and Cabbage Cupcakes: A Savory St. Patrick's Day Cupcake

Print Friendly and PDF



Cupcake O'Project presents corned beef and cabbage St. Patrick's Day cupcakes. You have a few weeks before St. Patrick's Day to think about whether you would actually eat them.

Do the Corned Beef and Cabbage Cupcakes Really Have Corned Beef and Cabbage in Them?

You bet they do! The cupcakes contain corned beef and the frosting has cabbage in it. They are topped with ground corned beef.

"Corned beef and cabbage cupcakes? Seriously? Umm... no thanks."

I was unable to get too many of my friends to even go near these cupcakes. It didn't help that I didn't love them so I couldn't sound convincing on the sell. (Groom 1.0 claims I love every cupcake I make, I cite this one as evidence to the contrary.)

Therefore, my husband's coworkers became the guinea pigs. He sent me the following corned beef and cabbage cupcake reviews:

  • "It was not what I expected when I bit into it." (This could be a good or bad thing. It depends on what this person expected.)
  • "Pushing your taste buds" (This is not a complete thought. I like to have my taste buds pushed. I assume it's a good thing.)
  • "Tell Stef to keep them coming." (Clearly the cupcakes didn't make the taster gag or they would not have requested more.)

Should You Try Corned Beef and Cabbage Cupcakes?

Some people liked these corned beef and cabbage cupcakes and you might be one of them. If you want to try some totally different St. Patrick's day cupcakes, give them a go. In terms of unique cupcake flavors, they didn't compare to my beer cheese bacon Super Bowl cupcakes, but they were decent.

The Corned Beef Cake Recipe

For the cake, I took the flavors typically found in a corned beef and cabbage recipe and added them into basic cake recipe. I used beer in the cake since many corned beef and cabbage recipes use beer as a base - and why not have another beer cupcake recipe?
  • 1 C Beer (I used an Irish stout)
  • 1 t malt vinegar
  • 3/4 C sugar
  • 1/3 C Canola oil
  • 1/4 t allspice
  • 1/4 coriander
  • 1/4 t ground mustard
  • 1 1/3 C flour
  • 3/4 t baking soda
  • 3/4 C ground corned beef (I bought some deli slices and used my electric chopper to grind it up.)
Combine the beer and the malt vinegar. Add in the sugar and oil, whisking vigorously until slightly frothy. Add allspice, coriander, and mustard. Gently introduce the flour along with the baking soda, being careful not to over mix. Fill 24 cupcake tins half full and bake at 350 degrees for 20 min.

The Candied Cabbage

Take about a cup of raw grated cabbage and place it on a toaster oven (or full-sized oven) tray lined with foil. Completely cover the cabbage with brown sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Warning: This will smell like sauerkraut.

The Malt Vinegar Cabbage Frosting
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
  • 1/4 C butter
  • 3 C powdered sugar
  • 1 t malt vinegar
  • 1 C candied cabbage

Mix butter and cream cheese. Slowly add in powdered sugar. Add malt vinegar and stir in cabbage.

The Corned Beef Topping

Who needs a cherry when you can top your cupcake with some grated corned beef?

Happy St. Patrick's Day to You and the Luck o' the Irish!

25 comments:

  1. Oh good heavens, no! This one really takes the cake. They seem like they might be okay if you think of them more as muffins, rather than cupcakes? I almost want to try them, just because it seems so gross! LOL The cabbage frosting kind of scares me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know a cupcake is a winner when a dozen of these end up at work and people seem terrified of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sort of amazed. I'd try one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's it. I'm scared ...really scared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say this lots of love...GROSS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh jeez.

    Last April fools day, my husband and I made Meatloaf cupcakes with purple potato icing. I don't think I'll ever really enjoy "meat cakes", which is funny, because I actually liked the bacon cookies that I made.

    I think its a crispness issue. The cake texture and the meat flavour just don't work together for me.

    But to each his own, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading your blog, and that you are very experimental!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alanna - Hah! I scared everyone.

    My husband - I'll talk to you at home.

    Rachel - Excellent! Thanks for letting me know.

    Gigi - I knew you would be.

    Prissy - :) No offense taken.

    Muffin - I bet there's one out there that you'd like. No need to rule out the whole category.

    Laura and Tim - Aww. Thanks so much and thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As clever as this is, I think I'm going to let you take all the credit for these ones. lol. But then again, I'm sure alot of guys down here in Tennessee would love a "meatcake." Except you couldn't call it that, because they're homophobic. But put some Skol and PBR in it and it'd be considered a delicacy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl you are SO crazy! I think it's great that you are trying these different flavors tho~ who the hell knows what might surprise you, right? I'm in the clear on this one tho cause I don't eat beef. I've never been so happy for the excuse, HAH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I noticed in the frosting part of the recipe it says to add powdered sugar. It doesn't say how much. I'm not going to make these, I just noticed the error. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ley - Haha!! That's hilarious! Skol cupcakes = nasty!

    TW - I have fun trying them all. I'll count your excuse this time. I might not let you off so easy next time though. :)

    Mom2ross - Oops. Thanks! I fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so innovative! It hardly whets my appetite right now, but I'd still considering sinking my teeth into one after those reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A perfect entry to the pub crawl! You get extra points for creativity. I'm dubious about these, but you never know.
    I'd try one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ruh roh! You've done it now~ you have messed with the delicate internetz balance...
    http://www.yumsugar.com/1098085

    ReplyDelete
  16. Toni - Thanks! I'll try most anything once.

    Emiline - Yay! Thanks! I heard that you were also giving extra points for beer!

    TW - Thanks for pointing that out! Lots of commenters over on Yum Sugar. I see that most people wouldn't try them and they didn't even try to come up with an excuse like you did. Wimps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I swear our circle keeps on shrinking... Kai found me through your blog?!?!?

    we really have to try and actually hang out IRL and not just electronically.

    and while I think these cupcakes are the bravest thing you've ever posted - I'm not sure I could pull it off myself..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cupcake has been chosen for ATC’s Weekly Cupcake Collection! Click the link to see more. Looking forward to your next cupcake creation!

    http://tinyurl.com/yqgnd8

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is brilliant, I LOVE it! I don't know if anything I could knock up for St Patrick's Day will compare with this idea. And yes I would definitely eat one (or more!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh boy, I'm not too sure about this one. Hesitant look. If it was offered to me though, I know I would have to at least have one bite.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Raquita - You know Kai! That's so funny! What a small world!

    CB - Thanks! I'm so honored!

    Lorraine - I'm so glad you are in the "I would eat it' camp. There are so few of you.

    Pixie - :) Glad you would give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your blog because I am always surprised! This is a great cupcake, and the photo is fantastic!! I hope they taste as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am totally amazed by your creativity, so I made these.

    I can thoroughly recommend the cake bit. The frosting, though, I can't get behind.

    But do make the cake. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! We featured these on our Fun Food Saturday "cupfake" edition. Can't wait to try them. http://bit.ly/95D37a

    ReplyDelete
  25. If corned beef wasnt so expensive. I would love to give these a try. I'm posting the recipe on my wall and hoping someone is brave enough to make them and let me have one!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics