Friday, January 4, 2008

peekfrostings

Another Wedding: It's Nuts!

Print Friendly and PDF

A Story From the Past

Seven years ago, there was an event in St. Louis called Drink Exchange. The Drink Exchange concept was that by buying drinks for random strangers you would make new friends and business contacts. I don't drink, but back then, I needed some new friends so I went as a way to meet some people. It ended up being a blast! I met a ton of people including the the guy who would seven years later get injured by a margarita cupcake.

A few weeks after Drink Exchange, I ran into him at a different event. Afterwards, he asked a girlfriend of mine out. She said, "No." He then asked me out. I first had to grill him about why I was second. Answer: I wasn't being as flirty as my friend. This was true. I then said a tentative, "Why the the heck not?" We went on a few dates but it didn't work out. To be more direct about it, I dumped him. That is, if it even counts as dumping after just a few dates.

The Happy Ending

To his testament, we ended up becoming friends and over time he has come to feel like family.

The Even Happier Ending

He recently got engaged to someone who I 100% approve of (and we all know, that's what matters). She too, has become a great friend. Margarita friend has tried almost every cupcake flavor I have made and his fiancée has tried a great many as well.

And Yes, I'm Officially Crazy

At their engagement celebration, I offered my cupcake services. Margarita friend said for both their and my sakes we should wait until after the NYE wedding before making anything final. We all wanted to see if I could pull it off and if I would ever want to see a cupcake again when I was done. Since I was successful (yippee!!) and I still like cupcakes, I'm now on for doing their wedding.

Their date is not final yet. I'll update this post when it is. However, it is tentatively set for Oct. 12th.

The Blog Will Continue

From now until then, I will refer to them as Bride 2.0 and Groom 2.0 (Margarita friend will be glad to be rid of the blog name that constantly reminded him of his traumatic injury). I will continue to regularly make cupcakes and blog about them so that they can select. They, however, have some different requirements.

The New Requirements

1. Fall Themed. Bride 2.0 likes cupcakes that are fall themed. Her favorite so far is the Apple and Honey cupcakes. This also happens to be one of my favorites. She also thinks pumpkin would be great. I like this requirement. I LOVE fall flavors. It will be fun playing around with different combinations.
2. Something Basic. Groom 2.0 likes his cupcakes to be pretty basic. He knows this is not typically my style, but I may need to try to master a simple chocolate or vanilla cupcake.
3. Nuts are Good. Groom 2.0 REALLY REALLY wants peanut butter. I do not like peanut butter and will not be using it. However, we compromised that I would play around with using other types of nut butters like cashew and almond. I'm really excited to get to bake with nuts since they were banned at the last wedding.
4. No Coconut. Neither Bride 2.0 nor Groom 2.0 like coconut so that is a banned ingredient.
5. No Coffee. I like coffee, they don't. Oh well.
6. No Mint. Per my original rules, mint will stay on the banned flavor list.

I'm surprisingly ready to get back to my typical smaller-scale baking. I'm excited to have another event to work up to and also really glad that it isn't until October.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a business in the making! How fun! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, print out some business cards asap! It's way obvious you have a gift here. i can't wait to see what cupcakes flavors you create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I'm so excited for you - I know a couple basics that"ll yo umight wanna try.

    congrats!!!
    the 2.0's know a good thing when they see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You've done an amazing job! :)
    And Happy New Year! Full of new cupcakes to make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly and Gigi - Not starting any business just yet. I can't imagine making all those cupcakes on a regular basis!

    Raquita - If you've got some really good ones, please send them my way. :) Thanks!

    Alita - Thanks! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I am so glad you have another wedding. Not just happy for you and the couple, but also myself as I love your blog. Congrats and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a business in the baking, I mean, making here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tart - Thanks so much!

    Marriage - That's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just catching up on all of my blog reading, and first--- congrats on pulling off your first cupcake project! the photos were beautiful! (and looked delicious). . . I can't wait to read more about cupcake project 2.0!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fall is my favorite time of year - and a candy that I always associate with this time of year is Maple Nut Goodies. They are made by Brachs, and described as such..."Brach's® Maple Nut Goodies are the perfect bite-sized treat. Each piece is a unique combination of fresh oven-roasted Georgia peanuts and a buttery toffee center covered in a Real Maple Syrup coating."
    This could be a real inspiration for a Fall wedding cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the idea Carie. Maple and toffee would be a great combination. Peanuts are out, but another nut could work.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics