Wednesday, August 31, 2011

peekfrostings

Chocolate Peanut Butter Hi-Hat Cupcake Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF


These chocolate peanut butter cupcakes loaded with dark chocolate chips, topped with peanut butter frosting, then dipped in more chocolate are a sight to behold.  This is the ultimate chocolate peanut butter cupcake!  Take a look inside:


I developed this recipe last November, but only shared the recipe with those who made a donation to FilterPure (a non-profit committed to providing safe drinking water to the at risk populations of the developing world). Through this effort, Cupcake Project readers raised over $3000 for FilterPure.  At the time, I promised that in six months I would make the recipe public.  This week, three different readers pointed out to me that I'm late.  So, with no further stalling, here it is.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Hi-Hat Cupcake Recipe

Note: I created this original cupcake recipe. However, the recipe for the peanut butter frosting is from AllRecipes and I have re-written it in my own words

Yield: 18 Cupcakes

Cupcake Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup peanut oil
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used 2%, but if you have another kind on hand, go ahead and use it)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Cupcake Directions:
  1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
  2. In another medium-sized bowl, mix sugar, peanut butter, and eggs until well combined.
  3. Mix oil, milk, and vanilla into the wet ingredients.
  4. Slowly add the flour mixture until fully incorporated.
  5. Fold in chocolate chips.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for thirty minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Frosting Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups smooth peanut butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk (I used 2%, but if you have another kind on hand, go ahead and use it)
Frosting Directions:

  1. In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and peanut butter until fully combined.
  2. Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time until fully incorporated.
  3. Add milk a little bit at a time and keep mixing until the frosting becomes light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
  4. Pipe a swirl of frosting onto each cupcake using a large round tip (I used Wilton tip number 1A , but if you don’t have a tip, you can just cut the end off of a sandwich bag).
  5. Place frosted cupcakes in the freezer for at least an hour. (If you don’t have room in the freezer, you can cool the cupcakes in the refrigerator or – in a pinch – you could not cool them at all. I found that the frozen cupcakes were the easiest to dip. But, I dipped a whole batch of room temperature ones and they all worked; the chocolate was just a wee bit drippier.)
Chocolate Dip Ingredients
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 3 tablespoons peanut oil
Chocolate Dip Directions

  1. Place chocolate chips and oil into a tall microwave-safe cup (I used a two cup Pyrex measuring cup).
  2. Microwave for twenty seconds at a time (stirring in between) until all of the chocolate is melted.
  3. Let the chocolate sit for a couple of minutes so it is still warm but not so hot that it burns you if you touch it.
  4. Take the frosted cupcakes out of the freezer. One by one, grab the cupcakes by their wrappers, turn them upside-down, and dunk them into the cup of melted chocolate - making sure that all of the frosting gets covered. (If you listen carefully, you may be able to hear them squealing, “Wheeee!”) Let the cupcakes hover over the cup of chocolate until all of the excess chocolate drips off.
  5. Admire your work.
  6. Store cupcakes in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat them!
Final Note

Although a donation is no longer required to get this recipe, if you liked the recipe and can spare a dollar or two, FilterPure could still use your help.  You can donate online through the FilterPure website.

31 comments:

  1. my mom's favorite cake is a chocolate peanut butter that I made every year for her bday. Its really good but this... would knock her socks off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could become addicted to these. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are ridiculously cute! And that peanut butter frosting looks so creamy and delicious. Awesome, fun cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I can't wait to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are amazing!! i've been wanting to try hi-hats for ages, so i think i might start with these... so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty and I know they will taste great. I am ready to try High Hats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't tried the recipe yet. i absolutely LOVE anything peanut butter and chocolate together, however my kids are allergic and my husband doesn't like nuts. Any recommendations on substitutes? Would SunButter (Sunflower Seed butter) be as good?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jegawhat - I have never tried sunbutter, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All these need is a cane a high starched collar to make them proper!

    I think they are more delicious this way however. Chocolate and PB are two tastes that taste great together...period!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were delicious, however I only baked mine for 25 minutes and even that was a few minutes too long so play attention those last 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made these tonight, and had the same problem. 25 minutes, and they are more like "cup-cookies" lol.

      Delete
  11. I wish there was an easy way to print the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just finished making these. If these were the last thing I ever ate I'd die happy! OMG so good!!! I agree do watch the cooking time though. Mine were done in 25 min. Didn't have peanut oil so I used vegetable oil. Don't know what they would have tasted like with the peanut oil but they came out fabulous using vegetable oil. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, the more I read in your blog the more I need a cupcake right now! This is devilish!!! Both thumbs up for your very special recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i don't know what i did wrong. mine came out hard (i baked them for the full 30 mins) and the taste was horrible. i know it had to be something i did b/c i've loved every other recipe i've tried. any advice as to what went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Staci - It's so hard to say what went wrong. Maybe your oven temperature is off? Was your oil bad?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stef, I had just bought the oil so i don't think it was that. the oven could have been off which is probably why they over baked but i still don't understand why the taste was off. is there a specific kind of chocolate or peanut butter i should use? the cocoa powder i used was a little old (opened in jan of this year) so that could have been it too. maybe i'll try new cocoa and less time in the oven and see if that works.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing recipe! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us! I can;t wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness! This is the real thing. This cupcake recipe should be nominated as the best recipe for creativeness. With its looks I am pretty sure it will win. Gosh! I love this cupcake. Thanks a lot for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When you say to fold the chocolate chips into the batter does that mean to melt them first and then put them in the batter

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kerrington - Nope. Don't melt them first.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know you mentioned dark chocolate chips in the introduction. I was just wondering if that means all the chocolate chips used in the batter recipe and the dipping repice? Cause it's not specified

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jessie - I used dark chocolate chips for the whole thing, but any chocolate chips would work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Will the chocolate shell firm up (like the chocolate candy shell on a soft serve ice cream) or will it stay soft and gooey? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jaime - It's gets hard like a shell.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello,
    Just wondering if 4 cups of powdered sugar is absolutely necessary for the peanut butter frosting? Can you use less?

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks really good....just seems like a lot of work. But it's gonna be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The frosting is a bit stiff, didn't come out fluffy. I wasn't able to use a piping tip because of it, I just cut the tip on the bag. BUt it still came out like playdough. Is there anything that would make it a bit creamier? Was thinking of adding cram cheese......what do you think? I do agree on the bake time 20-22 minutes is enough, 30 minutes is way too long

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made these for a friend's birthday yesterday and everyone loved it. Thank you Stef :)

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics