Wednesday, October 20, 2010

peekfrostings

Apple Cobbler Cupcakes with Pumpkin Pie Frosting

Print Friendly and PDF


Have you caught your apple cobbler trying to snuggle up to the pumpkin pie on your holiday table?  I decided to play matchmaker and bring these two lovebirds together - and, let me tell you, it was a match made in heaven!  Take gingery lemon apple cobbler cupcakes loaded with hunks of tart apples and blanket them with a thick coat of pumpkin pie frosting to watch the sparks fly.  Is that your tummy rumbling with desire, or is it the sound of little sweet nothings whispered between the cake and frosting?  You can't be quite sure.


Upcoming Giveaway Alert

Like the cupcake wrapper and the glittery gold sprinkles?  I love them!  They were a gift from Sweet Treats Party Boutique. In the very near future, I'm going to be doing a giveaway of a set of wrappers, sprinkles, and cupcake toppers from Sweet Treats.  But, it will just be for my Facebook fans.  So, if you are not a fan yet, become one now so you won't miss out!


Apple Cobbler Cupcake Recipe




Yield: 12 cupcakes

  • 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C sour cream
  • 1/4 tsp lemon extract
  • 2 1/2 C apples, roughly chopped and loosely packed (I like having the large chunks of apple in the batter - as shown above - but you can chop the apples more finely if you like a smoother look.)
  1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ginger.
  2. Beat butter and sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs, sour cream, and lemon extract until blended.
  4. Mix in flour mixture.
  5. Fold in apples.
  6. Divide batter evenly among 12 cupcake liners (they will be filled almost all the way to the top).
  7. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
Pumpkin Pie Frosting

Frost the apple cobbler cupcakes with pumpkin pie frosting.  See my post on pumpkin pie frosting for the recipe.

    30 comments:

    1. what an amazing combo for a cupcake! they sound DELICIOUS!

      ReplyDelete
    2. These sound great. I went to your facebook page, but didn't know how to follow you on it. I'm new to facebook.

      ReplyDelete
    3. DellaRae - Thanks! Just click the Like button at the top of the Facebook page.

      ReplyDelete
    4. ...you have got to me kidding me. There is fruit in it, therefore I can eat these for breakfast. Every. Day.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I'm abandoning all of my work to go make these cupcakes right now...

      ReplyDelete
    6. I live in new zealand, we only use pumpkin for soup or roasting, also its spring here but cupcakes a grand idea for school lunches. would cream cheese icing (frosting) work? love your blog

      ReplyDelete
    7. I almost started drooling! Can't wait to give these a try.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I think I'd make a sweet potato based cupcake with a cinnamon frosting to celebrate the holidays!
      (Michelle)

      ReplyDelete
    9. Anon - Sure, you'd be fine with that.

      Whoops - Michelle, I think you meant to leave that comment on FB.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I would make pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes w/ cinnamon pumpkin cream cheese frosting.

      ReplyDelete
    11. pumpkin cupcakes with carmel cream cheese frosting...

      munoz124@hotmail.com

      ReplyDelete
    12. Alisha and Anon - I think you meant to comment on my contest on FB. Be sure to leave a comment there.

      ReplyDelete
    13. love your blog,love this cupacakes! My blog actually is only in Italian but as soon as possible i'll translate all my recipe in english!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Yum! probably very delicious but also pretty!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Seriously genius!! pumpkin pie frosting, i can't get over it hahah. i love combining the best of multiple foods into a superfood!

      ReplyDelete
    16. I made these cupcakes last night and they are absolutely delicious. I still need to try them with the pumpkin pie frosting (I will tonight). I'm wondering if it's normal for the cupcakes to deflate a good amount after taking them out of the oven. Did I take them out too soon?

      ReplyDelete
    17. Wow, what a combo! I can't even imagine what it tastes like, but it HAS to be good. Such an autumn-y treat, they look gorgeous!

      ReplyDelete
    18. Colleen - Sometimes cupcakes deflate a little bit, but they shouldn't deflate too much. Did you take them out of the tins right away? That helps them to cool evenly, which might help with that.

      ReplyDelete
    19. These were awesome! I just added a cinnamon cream cheese icing to fill the cupcakes and put some candied ginger on the top! everyone loved them

      ReplyDelete
    20. Great recipe..I used 1/2 ginger and 1/2 cinnamon with a vanilla cream cheese frosting. My kids loved it!!

      ReplyDelete
    21. Loved this recipe. I was looking for a way to use some beautiful blackberries I found, so I swapped out blackberries for the apples, pumpkin pie spice for Ginger, and paired them with your sour cream frosting with the vanilla paste. I topped it off with a sprinkle of high end cinnamon and more fresh blackberries. The effect was like blackberry cobbler with classy vanilla ice cream. Fantastic! I'll bet it would be great with any fruit.

      ReplyDelete
    22. This is quickly turning into my favorite recipe to play around with. After the blackberry I mentioned above, I wanted to try again with the pumpkin pie topping. In my mind, I was thinking about pumpkin bread with chocolate chips in it. So I swapped out the lemon extract for 1 tsp vanilla, Ginger for 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, and in stead of apples I added a cup of chocolate chips. Topped with pumkin pi and a few sprinkles of mini chips. They were unbelievably good. Now you've got me wondering what other sorts of cream pies I could use instead of frosting... hmm

      ReplyDelete
    23. I just made the cupcakes and they are the best cupcakes I have ever had. I am in cupcake heaven right now. I love these so much and i haven't even frosted them yet. they are DELICIOUS!

      ReplyDelete
    24. I am exicted to make some of these... is the brown sugar packed?

      Sandy

      ReplyDelete
    25. I just made these cupcakes yesterday, and they are delicious! I'm making them for my son's first birthday (for the adults), and now I can't wait to see what everyone else will think of these... perfect for fall, my favorite time of year!! Thanks for the recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    26. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.!
      Flower Girls Dresses

      ReplyDelete
    27. Is the taste of the sour cream noticeable in the end result? For some reason, I've never really liked the taste. If it is, is there something that could be used to replace it?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Okay, I read a comment on another post about using plain yogurt. Could flavored yogurt work as well? Vanilla maybe?

        Delete
    28. Thank you for this cupcake! It comes out wonderful every time I make it.I use your brown sugar frosting instead of the pumpkin (my boyfriend doesn't like pumpkin). I highly recommend this cupcake :-)!

      ReplyDelete

    Real Time Web Analytics