Friday, April 2, 2010

peekfrostings

Compost Cupcakes - Salty and Sweet

Print Friendly and PDF

These compost cupcakes have so many different flavors that Bride 3.0 described the compost cupcakes as schizophrenic. What you think of these compost cupcakes will likely depend on whether you are the type of person who mixes foods on your plate.

If you are the type that greatly prefers plates with dividers (shown above) - so your peas and potatoes don't mingle - you'll hate them!

Compost cupcakes (like mud pie and dirt cake) are much better than the name reveals. The interesting thing about compost cupcakes is that they will taste different every time that you make them. The idea for compost cupcakes came from Momofuku's compost cookies. In the compost cookies, you mix your favorite salty snacks into the batter (Doritos, cheesy poofs, tortilla chips, etc.) along with your favorite sweet snacks (chocolate chips, raisins, caramel, etc.) and end up with salty/sweet deliciousness. I did the same thing with my compost cupcakes. I used pretzels, homemade goldfish crackers, cacao nibs, and Skor chips.

Compost Cupcake Recipe

To make compost cupcakes, mix your favorite salty and sweet snacks into your favorite cupcake recipe. There is no reason that you have to use the recipe below. I was in the mood for molasses, so I mixed my snacks into a molasses-based cake. The molasses flavor was a bit overpowering and next time, I might try making compost cupcakes using a more basic white cake.

Yield: 12 Cupcakes
  • 5 T unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 C white sugar
  • 1/2 C unsulfured molasses
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1/2 C hot milk
  • 1/2 C - 1 C crushed salty snacks (I used goldfish crackers and pretzels)
  • 1/2 C - 1 C sweet snacks (I used cacao nibs and Skor chips)
  1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Add the molasses and eggs.
  3. Add the flour and stir until just combined.
  4. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot milk.
  5. Stir in the hot milk mixture.
  6. Stir in salty and sweet snacks until combined.
  7. Divide batter evenly between 12 cupcake liners.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until slightly springy to the touch.
Chocolate Goldfish Cream Cheese Frosting

One of my favorite parts of my compost cupcakes was the chocolate cream cheese frosting with crushed goldfish crackers mixed in. The crackers added just the right about of salt to cut the sweet of the frosting. I highly recommend this frosting for any cupcake. Follow the recipe for my favorite chocolate frosting and then mix in a half cup of crushed goldfish crackers (or other salty treat) at the end.

Special Thanks

Special thanks goes out to reader Casey, whose email inspired these cupcakes. I don't always make cupcakes suggested by readers, but I'm willing to entertain all suggestions - the stranger the better!

11 comments:

  1. I want to take that goldfish and smear it through the chocolate frosting-yum. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you made them! I can't wait to try them myself, post Passover. The frosting sounds amazing! Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! I read about the compost cookies on David Lebovitz's blog and thought about making them...but like the idea cupcakes even better.

    I'm waiting for you to make a cupcake featuring sweet Hungarian Paprika. I am thinking chocolate would need to be involved... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the name because "compost", although is such a green way of life and is awesome for our gardens, has a nasty smell connected in my head with the word. :)

    I LOOOOVE the idea though because I love salty and sweet combos. My favorite would have to be stuffing and cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stella - Thanks!

    MsRuckus - Sorry to taunt you with them during Passover. I'm also observing (I made these last week) and even writing about them this week was tough.

    Anon - I LOVE paprika. I'll give that a go sometime.

    Ivy - You can't go wrong with cranberry sauce and anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw a post earlier about compost cookies. Seems to be quite popular lately. These look and sound good and I bet my little ones would love them! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a crazy fun combination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried chocolate and Goldfish but M&M's and Cheez-its are a favorite junk food combination of mine. I'm sure its very similar. Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this was an April fools joke--does that actually taste good??

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Me - YES!! It's not a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reading your warning to those who don't like their food mingling - that's me. But they look so good! I want one.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics