Monday, March 16, 2009

peekfrostings

Carob Cupcakes with Chicory, Dates, Figs, and Almonds

Print Friendly and PDF

These carob cupcakes contain none of the key ingredients in carrot cake or zucchini bread and yet, as each taster took a bite, they would question whether carrots or zucchini were involved. The cupcakes actually contained chicory, dates, figs, and almonds, and had an almond butter frosting.

Regardless of the contents, tasters enjoyed the cupcakes. I certainly did! They were moist and very breakfasty - the perfect cupcake to have in the morning (perhaps with some Teeccino - the product that inspired the cupcake).

Who Will Make These Cupcakes?

This carob cupcake recipe is a Cupcake Project original. While I loved it, I would be shocked and thrilled if anyone else makes it since it requires so many unusual ingredients. However, there is one reader who should definitely make these cupcakes:

Fluffyhelen was the only reader who said that she had every unusual ingredient on my list.

A very (as in tonight) recent review of Cupcake Project on Is This Thing On said:
For Thanksgiving this year, I tried out CP’s Sweet Potato Casserole cupcake and it was one of the best cupcakes I have ever made. I love to read about CP’s crazy concoctions, but my budget and location in Maine make my list of wacky ingredients rather short. Because of this drawback, I give Cupcake Project 4 out of 5 sprinkles.
I understand the complaint, but if using wacky ingredients is the one thing to make me lose a sprinkle, I'll take it!

Carob Cupcake Recipe

Makes 18-20 cupcakes
  • 2 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 T chicory
  • 2/3 C sugar
  • 3/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 C barley wine (if you don't have any, you could just use your favorite beer)
  • 1/2 C carob molasses
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 C plain yogurt
  • 1/4 C fig jam
  • 1/4 cup baking dates (dried dates pitted and smashed)
  • 1 C slivered almonds
  1. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and chicory.
  2. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs and yogurt.
  4. In a small bowl, mix barley wine and carob molasses.
  5. Alternately fold in flour mixture and the barley wine/molasses mixture, ending with the flour.
  6. Stir in the fig jam, dates, and almonds.
  7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  8. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.
Almond Butter Frosting Recipe

The almond butter frosting recipe was the same one that I used on my apricot cupcakes. You can find the recipe in the apricot cupcake post. I dusted the top of the cupcakes with chicory and some sprinkles for color.

10 comments:

  1. These are so exotic and although I would probably never make them myself I would love to try one. what I will try is the almond buttercream since I love almond butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A breakfast cupcake is a great idea! I will have to try to this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love carob! It's a nostalgic taste for me because it's what I grew up with instead of chocolate.

    Now, this cupcake has been chucked up to the top of my favorites list. It's so rustic looking and has so much depth. You're awesomely inspiring but, what's new.
    P.S.-and random. Are you doing another ice cream cupcake challenge for May 2009. I have inspiration for an entry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would absolutely bake these cupcakes if I ever went bake to baking. My kids were among the "deprived" I always used carob and loved to hide nutritionally inspiring ingredients.

    Kudos to you Stef!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I don't have many of these ingredients, BUT your post makes me want to run out and find them! These cupcakes look fabulous--especially that frosting. What a great experiment--it yielded such yummy results. Great original!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eliana - Thanks! BTW - You can make that frosting with any nutter butter. It's great with all of them!

    Cupcake Activist - Thanks so much!

    Ivy - Yes! :) We will be doing another ice cream cupcake event! I'm excited that you are looking forward to it!

    Louise - Thanks! Have your kids rebelled and started eating lots of junk?

    Elyse - Thanks! I was so excited that it worked out. You never know. I made some sweet potato cupcakes last week that were so bad that I didn't even post them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually they haven't Stef. My daughter now a mother of two is WORSE than I was. If any one is guilty of naughty noshes, it's Grammy:) As for my son, no kids yet but he sure has one healthy puppy. He makes all the dog's food from scratch! I must say "Grammy" always has a sweet indulgence for Iggy too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maam yes Maam!!
    I'll get right on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great set of posts about Teeccino and the ingredients! Like your aunt I missed the coffee aroma but the ingredients in the cupcakes are very interesting. I have to see how many I can hunt down to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a challenge. thanks!! I have everything but barleywine and carob molasses. Will try them.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics